During the last few months, practitioners of Falun Gong in Slovakia approached the representatives of several cities with information about the existence of concentration camps in China. Some Mayors reacted to this information with expressions of verbal protest against the persecution of Falun Gong; some sent us letters, in which they expressed their attitude to what is happ4ening in China today..
The Mayor of Kosice (second largest Slovak city), Mr. Frantisek Knapik, wrote:
“With deep regret and understanding I read your letter, in which you call my attention to lately exposed crimes in the secret concentration camp of Sujiatun in China. It pains me that even today, in the time when the General declaration of human rights adopted by General Assembly of UN in 1948, the communist regime in the People’s Republic of China is not ashamed to commit such crimes.
"The people of Slovakia, citizens of Kosice, and me personally, refuse and condemn each violent act on people, each trampling on human rights and dignity. I support the effort of the Slovak Falun Gong Association in its struggle against these manifestations of tyranny and I believe that the world’s opinion will condemn all sorts of violence performed by totalitarian regimes in China and everywhere in the world. I join my voice to this initiative".
During meetings, a few Mayors verbally expressed their support. The deputy mayor of Poprad, Mr. Gustav Dobak stated, that it is strange that the world has condemned fascism, but communism, which lead to at least as many victims as fascism, hasn't been publicly condemned.
During a meeting with the Mayor of Kezmarok, a middle-sized tourist city in eastern Slovakia, Mr. Ingor Satlava, expressed his support by signing the petition. He also asked the representatives of the local media to help us by informing the public and support thus the human rights in the world. The local media did so and many people could learn about our undertaking from local TV and newspapers.
Text of the petition:
Petition for support of human rights of Falun Gong followers in China
• Falun Gong, also called Falun Dafa, is a traditional exercise practice, which except for exercises teaches universal principles of truth-compassion-forbearance
• Falun Gong is widely recognised in countries as a practice, which leads to higher moral standards and therefore helps to improve the society as a whole
• Falun Gong is impressive by harmony of exercises, meditation and study, by which it supports good spiritual health, cultivates mind, body and spirit.
• Falun Gong helps to preserve traditional values of humanity, as sincerity, persistence, unselfishness
• Practitioners of Falun Gong in China are exposed to suffering in labour camps, jails and re-education centres. The number of known deaths because of torture reached up to now 955 (May 2004), tens of thousands were tortured during their stay in labour camps, jails and especially women were subject to numerous forms of sexual violence, including carnal abuse and forced abortion.
I, the undersigned, demand an immediate stop to the persecution and severe torture of Falun Gong followers in China.
You are welcome to print and circulate all articles published on Clearharmony and their content, but please quote the source.