The Brutal Persecution of Practitioner Ms. Hu Rulian from Leshan City, Sichuan Province

Ms. Hu Runlian, 52, is from Leshan City, Sichuan Province. She was formerly an employee of the Industry and Business Bank in Shizhong District, Leshan City. She started practising Falun Gong in July 1997, and gradually her many illnesses disappeared. When the Chinese Communist Party started the persecution, Hu Runlian went to appeal for justice for Falun Gong. However, she was arrested and detained, and her home and belongings were confiscated. She was dismissed by her company, and after being detained at a forced labour camp she was sentenced to prison. Ms. Hu has suffered financially, physically and spiritually.

When the persecution began, on July 20th, 1999, Hu Runlian went to the Sichuan Provincial Government to appeal for Falun Gong and was arrested by police from Leshan City, and detained overnight. On October 28th, 1999, she was arrested again when she went to Beijing to appeal, and was detained at the Guihualou Detention Centre for fifteen days. She was then transferred to the Shizhushan Detention Centre in Leshan City. On the morning of November 21st, the police and armed guards dragged all the practitioners in the detention centre outside, and forced them to stand for a long time, while beating and kicking them. Hu Runlian was released on December 20th, 1999.

On March 2nd, 2000, Wang Tonghua, a colleague of Ms. Hu's, called the 610 Office1, and told them to arrest Ms. Hu and detain her at the Second Police Station. On March 4th, she was transferred to the Shizhushan Detention Centre again. Because Ms. Hu practised her exercises on May 13th, she was brutally beaten by police officer Liao using a triangular-shaped whip, causing her back to become very swollen. Later she was sentenced to 12 months of forced labour under the charge of "going to Beijing to make trouble." She was detained at the Nanmusi Forced Labour Camp in Zizhong and her forced labour term was extended for three months. She was released on June 7th, 2001.

On July 14th, 2001, Ms. Hu went to the Large Leshan Buddha Scenic Area to put up posters exposing the persecution of Falun Gong on utility poles. She was arrested by the police and detained at the Pengshanlu Police Station. On August 14th, a month after her arrest, 610 Office agents Wang Aiping and Yang Guanghui dragged Ms. Hu to Taiyangba, Suji Town and handcuffed her to the front door of the Suji Town Government Building with a insulting flyer attached to her back. At 6:00 p.m. she was returned to the Nanmusi Forced Labour Camp. Education section head Li Zhixiang and team leader Zhang Xiaofang ordered drug addict criminals to monitor Ms. Hu and also used former practitioners who had turned against Falun Gong to try to deceive and "transform2" her. Every day the guards forced Ms. Hu to watch a video and read a book that slandered Falun Gong. She was forced to stand facing the wall for long periods of time and the drug addicts and collaborators3 read the book slandering Falun Gong to her. She was also force-fed water, but not allowed to use the toilet. When she did finally wet herself she was not allowed to change her clothes. During the night, Ms. Hu was handcuffed to the bed with her arms above her head.

Ms. Hu Runlian was brutally tortured until she could not longer stand or take care of herself. She was forced to sign the so-called "proof of medical treatment" and 500 yuan4 was taken out of her account. On July 17th, 2003, Hu Runlian's family was finally allowed to take her back home.

On September 28th, 2004, Hu Ruilian was arrested again by the Leshan City 610 Office and was detained. Three days later, she was sent to the Leibo County Detention Centre. Hu Runlian went on a hunger strike to protest. The guards handcuffed her to the bed and force-fed her. On October 26th, she was officially arrested and sentenced to a three-year prison sentence on the charge of "organizing to damage implementation of the law."

On April 14th, 2005, Ms. Hu was imprisoned at the Fourth Team of the Sichuan Province Women's Prison, in Yangmahe Town, Jianyang City. Team leaders Luo Chengli and Yuan Changli incited the criminals to poison her food and cause her to have diarrhoea. The criminals also poured strong solvent on her towel. The guards told the collaborators to hold the Falun Gong book and ask if she wanted to read them. They said if she did, she must be "transformed." These were torments used to confuse and mislead her. Hu Runlian protested the persecution by refusing to wear the prison uniform. The guards incited the criminals to drag her from the third floor to the basement to torture her. She was tortured constantly and became emaciated. Hu Runlian was finally released on September 27th, 2007.

Ms. Hu is currently still followed and monitored by the 610 Office. She has no personal freedom.


1. "The 610 office" is an agency specifically created to persecute Falun Gong, with absolute power over each level of administration in the Party and all other political and judiciary systems.

2. "Reform or Transform" Implementation of brainwashing and torture in order to force a practitioner to renounce Falun Gong. (Variations: "reform", "transform", "reformed", "reforming", "transformed", "transforming", and "transformation")

3. "Collaborators": [former practitioners who have turned against Falun Gong under brainwashing and torture. They are then made to assist in brainwashing and torturing practitioners.]

4. "Yuan" is the Chinese currency; 500 yuan is equal to the average monthly income of an urban worker in China.

Chinese version available at

You are welcome to print and circulate all articles published on Clearharmony and their content, but please quote the source.