Practitioner Mr. Wu Yinchang Tortured in Qianjin Prison Near Beijing

Falun Dafa practitioner Mr. Wu Yinchang was a pharmacist at the Xiyuan Hospital affiliated with the Chinese Medicine Research Academy. He is a kind and gentle, pure-hearted fellow who enjoyed a good reputation among his coworkers and his extended family. During the past several years he has suffered from ruthless tortures in detention centres and forced labour camps because of his firm belief in "Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance." The persecutors sentenced him to seven years in prison after years of torture in the detention centres and labour camp.

Falun Dafa practitioner Wu Yinchang and his son, a once happy family

Between late June and early July 2006, the authorities at Qianjin Prison forced Wu Yinchang to sit on the concrete floor for ten days in a row while wearing handcuffs and shackles. Mr. Wu was denied sleep. Assigned monitors beat and verbally abused him, and restricted him from drinking water and using the toilet. The torture resulted in lacerated skin on Mr. Wu's wrists and ankles and bedsores on his hips. Each time his family visited him, the beatings he was subjected to left clearly visible bruises on his body. Sometimes Mr. Wu's weak body kept trembling during the visits. He would be out of breath after walking a few steps. When Mr. Wu tried to tell his family about the tortures he suffered, the police on duty would stop him immediately. When Mr. Wu's family questioned the prison head surnamed Liu in the prison's ninth ward, Liu replied, "As a matter of fact, the way we treat him is very gentle. Why on earth does he remain so stubborn?"

Since January 2007, personnel in the Ninth Ward unlawfully withheld Mr. Wu's family visiting rights. In addition, the guards strictly curtailed Mr. Wu's phone conversations with his family and monitored his mail.

Mr. Wu Yinchang is 41 years old. He started to practise Falun Dafa in 1996. He was arrested on October 1st, 2000 at Tiananmen Square where he had gone to appeal on behalf of Falun Gong. He was then detained for one month in the Qinghe Detention Centre at the Haidian Police Department in Beijing. His conduct moved his detention centre inmates. They respected Mr. Wu very much. A mute inmate put his fingers in the shape of a circle, to mimic the Falun symbol, and then gave thumbs up, meaning, "Falun Gong is great!"

Mr. Wu was arrested again on January 4th, 2001 for distributing leaflets exposing the persecution and was sent to the Tuanhe Forced Labour Camp in Beijing. While there, the police frequently punished Mr. Wu by forcing him to "sit on a board" and sleep deprivation. One day in September 2001, the police slammed Mr. Wu on the floor, bound his hands and feet and shocked him with eight electric batons simultaneously. Mr. Wu's skin was burned and turned black. Practitioners Zhao Ming, (who now lives in Ireland) Yu Ming, Deng Huaiying, Xu Huaquan and others also suffered the same torture during this round of persecution in the Tuanhe Forced Labour Camp. When Mr. Wu was released in January 2002, he was extremely weak. Because he refused to write the so-called Guarantee Statement1, to give up his belief in Falun Gong, his workplace fired him in 2002 shortly after his release.

In November 2002, Mr. Wu was arrested again for mailing CDs exposing the persecution. This time the persecutors sent him to the Shunyi District Detention Centre, Beijing. In 2003, Shunyi District People's Court agents sentenced him to seven years in prison. He was sent to the 12th Ward of the Qianjin Prison on January 8th, 2004.

Each prison ward has "small cells." These are the places where the guards commit all kinds of evil deeds. Practitioners were made to sit in a restrained position for a long time. Mr. Wu was locked in the small cells numerous times between 2004 and 2005 and was forced to undergo brainwashing. Oftentimes the guards permitted him a mere two hours sleep per night. He was also beaten and verbally abused, deprived of washing his face and brushing his teeth and had limited toilet use privileges. The guards locked him in the dark small cell for a couple of months each time, sometimes even longer. Mr. Wu's health deteriorated tremendously and became feeble.

On one occasion, guard Chen Jun transferred him to an even smaller dark cell and physically assaulted him suddenly. Mr. Wu, who was completely unprepared, was knocked on the ground and immediately lost consciousness. When he was incarcerated in conventional cells, the guard on duty forbade Mr. Wu to talk to others and ordered the head inmate to monitor him. The 60-year-old inmate head was extremely vicious. He wrote down all of Mr. Wu's words and actions, even his facial expressions, in his notebook and turned the notebook over to the guards every day.

The prolonged torture reduced the already thin Mr. Wu to an even more skeleton-like image. His neck could be encircled with one hand. Even so, Mr. Wu never gave up his belief in Falun Gong, even though the guards tried all of their vicious torture methods on him. Thus, persecutor Chen Jun transferred Mr. Chen to the Ninth Ward.

Mr. Wu was sent to the even more vicious Ninth Ward on August 9th, 2005 where he was again often locked in small cells. Between September 2005 and April 2006 the persecutors deprived him of his right to call his family, which is usually granted to prisoners once a month.

Mr. Wu's family continuously appealed to officials at the Beijing Prison Administrative Bureau and other related departments. The prison authorities denied that torture took place; moreover, they lied, accusing Mr. Wu of beating others. Haidian District Police Department officials went to Mr. Wu's residence to harass his wife and his child. They intimidated her saying, "All your I.D. background information is in our hands..."

As Mr. Wu's family persisted in their appeal to the Prison Administrative Bureau, Qianjin Prison officials finally re-instated Mr. Wu's rights of family visits around August 2006. However, the prison authorities often made trouble for Mr. Wu's family. Mr. Wu was usually the last one to be visited on visitation day. The police stated this to be "favourable treatment" for Mr. Wu. When Mr. Wu's family finished the visit, the shuttle bus to transport families had already left. The prison is located in a suburban area of Tianjin, far away from the city of Beijing, so finding transport was very difficult. During family visits the prison set up monitoring devices and assigned four police officers to stand beside Mr. Wu and his family.

The Chinese Communist regime resorted to such an ignoble way to monitor imprisoned practitioners for fear that their vicious deeds and torture might become public knowledge. Such monitoring is a clear indication of the extent to which the Communist authorities fear the truth being exposed.

Since January 2007, the Ninth Ward once again denied Mr. Wu's family visiting rights and strictly limited Mr. Wu's phone and mail communication with his family.

Chiefly responsible persons involved in the persecution:

Ninth Ward Political Head, Liu Guanghui; mainly in charge of persecuting Falun Gong practitioners, Police ID number 1109423
Former Ninth Ward Political Head, Chen Jun: 86-10-83589482
Ninth Ward: 86-10-83589463
Prison affairs section head surnamed Lu: 86-10-83589044, 86-10-83589412, 86-22-67980276

Prison Mailing Address: Mail Box 106, Chadian Station at Jingshan Railroad, Hangu District, Tianjin City, Postal Code: 300481

(Note: each prison ward has a sub-mailbox under the main mail box. For example, if the letter is to be mailed to the Ninth Ward, the address is Mail Box 106-9)

Beijing Prison Administrative Bureau; 24-hour consulting/service line: 86-10-1600628
Beijing Prison Administrative Bureau, office handling reports/appeals: 86-10-83580817;
Beijing Prison Administrative Bureau, anti-cult office, director Zhu Guanghua: 86-10-83580634, 8358063, 83580636, he is a former team leader in the Ninth Ward, and was promoted for persecution

Appeals Office of the Department of Justice: 86-10-66183634
Qinghe Branch of the Beijing Prison Administrative Bureau (Qianjin Prison is the direct subordinate unit of the Qinghe Branch)
Prison affairs section: 86-10-83589044 86-10-83589412 86-22-67980276
Prison administration and eduction section: 86-22-67998274

Persecutors in the Qianjin Prison
Head , Li Zhengxian: 86-10-83589401; Police ID number: 1107693
Deputy Head Pan Wanqian (dedicated to the persecution of Falun Gong): 86-10-83589406


1. "Guarantee Statement": A statement to declare that one is remorseful for practising Falun Gong and guarantees not to practise Falun Gong again, not to go to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong, and never again associate with any Falun Dafa practitioners.

Chinese version available at

You are welcome to print and circulate all articles published on Clearharmony and their content, but please quote the source.