Four Practitioners Who Lost Their Lives in Hunan, Chongqing, Shanxi and Xinjiang

Facebook Logo LinkedIn Logo Twitter Logo Email Logo Pinterest Logo

Zuo Guoqing from Shaodong, Hunan Province Died as a Result of Persecution

Recently we have learned that practitioner Zuo Guoqing died as a result of being persecuted sometime between 2002 to 2004. Details are still under investigation.

Zuo Guoqing worked in Daqing City, Heilongjiang Province. After the persecution began on July 20th, 1999, he was detained and persecuted. In October 2000, policeman Wang Yingzhou brutally tortured Mr. Zuo, causing serious injuries. In 2002, he was critically injured and was rescued from jail by family members. He was brought back to his hometown in Shaodong County’s Shuangfeng Township, Hunan Province. He died shortly after. Before his release, Mr. Zuo was severely persecuted in Daqing Forced Labour Camp.

Chen Xiaoxia from Chongqing Died as a Result of Persecution

Falun Gong Practitioner Ms. Chen Xiaoxia lived in Jiangbei Middle School, Shuitu Town, Beibei District of Chongqing. Before she began to practise Falun Gong, she suffered from a congenital heart condition and could not do anything strenuous. During the hot summer, she had to wear long sleeved shirts and long trousers; in the winter, she could not leave home when she had a slight fever, and all she could do was to stay in bed. Her frequent health problems affected her family; her husband Zhou Yong (a school teacher in Jiangbei Middle School) tried to divorce her several times. In 1997 she began to practise Falun Gong, in a short time all her symptoms vanished completely, and she began to live the healthy and happy life that she never had before. Her relationship with her husband became harmonious again.

After July 20th, 1999 when the Communist Party began the persecution against Falun Gong, Ms. Chen travelled to Beijing to appeal for justice and defend Falun Gong’s honor. In Beijing, before she had a chance to lodge her appeal, she was detained by the police and sent to Chongqing City’s liaison office in Beijing. A few days later, Chongqing police officers took her back and detained her in the Beibei Detention Centre for nearly a month. Ms. Chen suffered inhumane torture in detention and her hands and feet were chained all the time.

After returning home, her family forbade her from practising Falun Gong, because of pressure from the police and school. Soon her old diseases returned and she became so ill that she could not care for herself; finally, she lost the ability to speak. Chen Xiaoxia passed away in the first half of 2000, leaving behind a young son.

Shanxi Province: Du Shurong of Datong City Passed Away Due to Persecution

Ms. Du Shurong, 69, lived in Datong City, Shanxi Province. Since 1995, when she began to practise Falun Gong, all her illnesses disappeared. Since the persecution began in 1999, Ms. Du travelled to Beijing three times to appeal for justice for Falun Gong. As a result, she was detained for over 100 days.

One day in January 2001, the police broke into Du Shurong's home at 1:00 a.m. and arrested her and her husband. Du Shurong was sentenced to one year in a forced labour camp and her husband was sentenced to two years. Later, her family paid several tens of thousands of yuan1 to get them out. Subsequently, they were harassed and monitored constantly by the police: they were forced to collect recycled garbage for a living; their application for rental housing was denied repeatedly and they were forced to move seven times. As a result of the relentless persecution, the couple had no normal life. Du Shurong suffered from enormous mental stress, and as a result, her physical condition deteriorated gradually. She passed away on December 8th, 2005.

Xinjiang Autonomous Region: Liu Shihui from Shihezi City Died From Persecution

Ms. Liu Shihui was in her 60’s. She lived in Subdivision 14 of Shihezi City, Xinjiang Autonomous Region. Before the persecution, she was a coordinator for the Falun Gong practice site. In September 2000, Ms. Liu travelled to Beijing to appeal for justice for Falun Gong. The police arrested her and sent her back, and detained her in the Shihezi Number One Detention Centre for a month. After Liu Shihui returned home, she was harassed and intimidated by policemen Wang Heping, Zhang Shengli and Xu Ningdong of the Shihezi City police department (Wang later was promoted to political head of the national security branch in the Shihezi City police department). Under intense pressure from the police, Liu Shihui’s husband and two daughters forbade her from practising Falun Gong. They constantly watched her. Ms. Liu suffered great mental stress and her physical health also deteriorated rapidly. On May 6th, 2006 she died of lung and bone cancer. From the beginning of the persecution until her death, out of fear, her family refused to allow any visits by fellow practitioners.


1. "Yuan" is the Chinese currency; 500 yuan is equal to the average monthly income of an urban worker in China.

Chinese version available at

* * *

Facebook Logo LinkedIn Logo Twitter Logo Email Logo Pinterest Logo

You are welcome to print and circulate all articles published on Clearharmony and their content, but please quote the source.