Ms. Niu Yuhui Recounts the Persecution She Was Subjected to in Nanshan Detention Centre in Shulan City, Jilin Province

Facebook Logo LinkedIn Logo Twitter Logo Email Logo Pinterest Logo

My name is Niu Yuhui. On April 15th, 2008, I went to visit my hometown in Tiande Township. While waiting for the bus at Taiping, Tiande Township official Ren Entian recognized me and reported me to the police. On my way to Shulan City, Li Yueqing and others from the Tiande Township Police Department followed and monitored me. They stayed close to the place where I stayed and watched me for three days. Around 6:00 a.m. on April 17th, Li Yueqing and two others arrested me. I shouted, "Falun Gong is good!" to let people hear the truth. Afraid of drawing attention to the unjust arrest, those evildoers took off a coat and used it to cover my mouth to stop my shouting. I almost lost consciousness. They took me to Beicheng Police Station where they subjected me to a body search. Wang Shicheng used his hands to go through my bra and made lascivious gestures toward me. Li and others searched my backpack and stole over 2,000 yuan1 in cash. They got a key from my bag and took it to search my home. They confiscated a pair of earrings and a pail of soybean oil. They made a big mess while ransacking the house. I refused to get in the police vehicle, so they shoved me in. That evening they took me to Shulan City Detention Centre.

While there, I staged a protest hunger strike. On the fifth day of my hunger strike, a female guard ordered inmate Liu Jing to drag me across the floor to the guards' office, where she slapped my face and shouted, "Do you want to eat or not? If you do not, we will torture you every day!" The female guard said, "You'll have to continue the hunger strike 'till the end; we have no food for you." On the sixth day they force-fed me. Detention centre heads Zhuang and Jin swore at me, "We are not responsible, even if you die." Doctor Chen also kept shouting, "Kong Fanrong died here! Nobody cared!" Doctor Chen had inmate Liu Jing force-feed me. I suffered badly during each brutal force-feeding procedure. Because of the hunger strike, I had no energy to walk, but the guards still ordered inmates to drag me to a room for interrogation. Xia Chunlin made very obscene remarks toward me. When they saw that torture had really worsened my condition, they dragged me back to the cell.

Thirty-three days after I started the hunger strike, they sent me three times to Heizuizi Labour Camp in Changchun City. Wang Tingbo had carefully planned each incident. In the end they were not successful. On the 39th day of my hunger strike, Wang again went to the Labour Camp Bureau and petitioned the officials there to make the labour camp accept me. The bureau officials said, "We have a rule that those on a hunger strike will not be admitted." Wang wished I was dead. He utilized all kinds of connections and had me sent me to the police hospital. Because I was in critical condition, the officials refused to admit me. On June 6th, 2008, I was unconditionally released.


1. "Yuan" is the Chinese currency; 500 yuan is equal to the average monthly income of an urban worker in China.

Chinese version available at

* * *

Facebook Logo LinkedIn Logo Twitter Logo Email Logo Pinterest Logo

You are welcome to print and circulate all articles published on Clearharmony and their content, but please quote the source.