The Chinese Communist Party in Heilongjiang Province Used Winter Games as an Excuse to Arrest and Persecute Practitioners

The 2009 Winter Universiade was held February 12th-16th in Heilongjiang Province. Using "security" as a pretext, the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) dispatched a special team to Jiamusi City to direct the persecution of Falun Gong practitioners. In addition, the CCP claimed that area practitioners had broadcast messages exposing the persecution of Falun Gong through loudspeakers. Officers from every police station in the area went house-to-house to harass practitioners. Those with knowledge of electronics and broadcast technology were specifically targeted. Dozens of practitioners were harassed.

At around 6:00 p.m. on February 8th, Liu Denglu and another officer from the Changan Police Station used "fingerprint verification" as a pretext to arrest practitioner Mr. Fu Yu. They also ransacked his home and seized his computer, printer, and other items. Mr. Fu has been detained and persecuted in the Jiamusi Prison ever since.

On the afternoon of February 10th, practitioner Shen Guo, who works at the Jiamusi Meat Processing Plant, was arrested at his workplace by officers from the Qianjin District Police Department and the Nangang Police Station. They took him to the Jiamusi Prison that evening, again using "fingerprint verification" as a pretext. They also ransacked his home after his arrest. Mr. Shen too has been detained and persecuted in the Jiamusi Prison ever since.

At noon on February 12th, practitioner Wang Guizhen, who lives and works at a sugar factory, was arrested at her residence by sugar factory officers from Jiaxi Police Stations. Three months earlier, Ms. Wang had been released from a forced labour camp where she had lost consciousness during torture the previous October. This time the police knocked on Ms. Wang's door, claiming that they were returning money they had previously extorted from her. As soon as she opened the door, they arrested her. There are reports that the tumour in Ms. Wang's pituitary has reappeared as a result of torture and that she has been hospitalized.

On the afternoon of February 12th, officers from the Jiaxi Police Station used their own key to enter the home of practitioner Huang Weizhong. Mr. Huang was not at home, so the officers waited for him to return. When another practitioner, Ms. Song, came to visit Mr. Huang, the police arrested her. At around 5:00 p.m., a colleague of Mr. Huang went to his home, and he too was arrested. At 6:00 p.m., a dozen more police officers went to Mr. Huang's home. They arrested another male practitioner who had come to visit. They finally arrested Mr. Huang himself, brought him to the Jiaxi Police Station at 9:00 p.m., and beat him viciously. Another practitioner, Ms. Wang Guizheng, and the male practitioner who was arrested that night were also taken to the jail. Ms. Song and Mr. Huang's colleague were both released at midnight.

On February 13th, Mr. Huang was taken to the city police department. The police seized his computer, printer, mobile phone, phone card, and speakers, which altogether had a value of over ten thousand yuan1. At around 6:00 p.m. that night, another practitioner went to Mr. Huang's home. The police were still waiting inside, and they dragged him into the house as soon as he opened the door. Including Mr. Huang, at least three practitioners were arrested. The officers tortured them at the police station and then took them to the city police department where they were tortured with even greater brutality. Mr. Huang was tortured most severely. Currently no one knows the condition of the three practitioners.

At about 1:00 p.m. on February 14th, practitioner Luan Xiuyuan was arrested by a group of people who did not identify themselves. The 60-year-old Ms. Luan yelled, "Falun Gong is good," as they dragged her into a police car. Later that day, practitioner Song Yuzhi, who was also about 60, went to Ms. Luan's house and was arrested by the police who had hidden there. The police later ransacked Ms. Song's home.

Eight practitioners were arrested in less than a week. They were all tortured, and their homes were all ransacked. Informed sources report that officers from the Heilongjiang Province Police Bureau have been dispatched to Jiamusi City for some time and that the persecution is part of a planned operation.


1. "Yuan" is the Chinese currency; 500 yuan is equal to the average monthly income of an urban worker in China.

Chinese version available at

You are welcome to print and circulate all articles published on Clearharmony and their content, but please quote the source.