Mr. Xian Chunwei's Three Forced Labour Terms

Name: Xian Chunwei
Gender: Male
Age: 36
Address: Zhuanghanmiao Village, Mihe Town, Qingzhou City, Shandong Province
Occupation: Unknown
Date of Most Recent Arrest: June 5th, 2009
Most recent place of detention: Mingshui Labour Camp in Zhangqiu, Jinan City
City: Jinan
Province: Shandong
Persecution Suffered: Detention, solitary confinement, forced labour, torture, physical constraint, sleep deprivation, beatings, extortion, force-feeding
Key Persecutors: Zuo Hengfa, Pan Hongmin

Mr. Xian Chunwei, an employee of the Urea Division of Qingzhou Fertiliser Factory, began practising Falun Gong in 1995. Since July 20th, 1999, when the persecution began, the Qingzhou Police Department and Domestic Security Division agents frequently harassed his family, including breaking in and ransacking their home. They also arrested and tortured Mr. Xian numerous times. Mr. Xian was held at forced labour camps three times for a total of six years and is currently detained at the Mingshui Labour Camp in Zhangqiu, Jinan City.

Qingzhou Fertiliser Factory director Hou Chuntao and Party secretary Chang Chengshu joined security chief Jiang Sheng in detaining Mr. Xian in the factory's garage. They nailed the windows of the garage shut. There was no toilet there and Mr. Xian had to relieve himself inside the garage. Mr. Xian eventually broke free and went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong. He was arrested and officers from the Qingzhou Domestic Security Division detained him for one month. After his release, Party Secretary Chang Chengshu and others detained and tortured Mr. Xian again. When officials tried to arrest him again in October 2000, he left the factory and went into exile.

Officers from the Qingzhou Domestic Security Division arrested Mr. Xian from his rented home on February 20th, 2001 and took personal possessions from the apartment. He was sentenced to three years of forced labour and taken to Changle Labour Camp in Weifang City, Shandong Province.

The guards and inmates at the labour camp tortured Mr. Xian. The prison extended his term by nine months because he refused to give up his belief in Falun Gong. After he was released, Xian Chunwei went to former practitioners who were deceived by Party propaganda and explained to them the facts about Falun Gong in the hopes that they would see through the vicious persecution. Qingzhou Domestic Security Division head Zuo Hengfa charged him with "counter-revolutionary activities" and sentenced him to two years of forced labour in June 2005. Mr. Xian was taken to Wangcun Labour Camp in Shandong Province. He was sent to the Strictly Controlled Team. Detainees in this team were forced to do hard labour and worked overtime almost on a daily basis.

Qingzhou Domestic Security Division officials arrested Xian Chunwei again during the 2008 Beijing Olympics, and sent him to the Kuiwen District Party School in Weifang City for a brainwashing session.

When Mr. Xian went to the Qingzhou Road Police Station in Qingzhou City to get his ID on June 5th, 2009, the police detained him. An officer savagely beat him. One man who claimed to be the police chief screamed, "How can you prove that we beat you?" Qingzhou Domestic Security Division officials including Yang Haifeng and Zhang Laian took Mr. Xian to the Qingzhou Brainwashing Centre at the former Guashi Police Station in Qingzhou and robbed him of all the money and belongings that he was carrying.

The police handcuffed Mr. Xian backward to a metal chair at the brainwashing centre and chained his feet, so he could not move. They locked him in this posture for 35 days, during which time they took turns forcing him to stay awake and would brutally assault him if he dozed off.

Domestic security official Zhang Laian and Zhu Gang from the Mihe Town Birth Control Committee and Zhang from the Mihe Town administration ordered official Liu to buy hard liquor and force-feed it to Xian Chunwei. They also poured cold water on his head and neck. Yang Haifeng, Pan Hongmin and Zhang Laian said, "Our superiors ordered us to do it; there's nothing we can do [but to obey]."

Mr. Xian went on a hunger strike to protest the detention and brutality. Domestic Security Division head Zuo Hengfa took him to Yidu Central Hospital on June 7th. Mr. Xian shouted, "Falun Gong is good." The officials took him back to the police station, fearing that other people would hear him exposing the persecution. They threatened him, "We have lots of ways to 'take care' of you; you'll wish for death."

Officials Zuo Hengfa, Yang Haifeng and Pan Hongmin also ransacked the home of Mr. Xian's fiancée in Weifang City and terrorised her and her family. They then ransacked his rented apartment in Weicheng and harassed the landlord and neighbours. One month later, Qingzhou Police Department agents and those from the Qingzhou Domestic Security Division sentenced Mr. Xian to one year of forced labour and held him at Mingshui Labour Camp in Zhangqiu, Jinan City.

After the Qingzhou police took Mr. Xian to the brainwashing facility, his family anxiously looked for him everywhere. The officials told them, "We don't know where he is; we haven't seen him." Deputy police chief Yang Xitao and brainwashing centre head Duan even threatened his family, telling them to stop seeking him.

Persecution of Mr. Xian's family

Officers Liu Dayong, Xi Gang and others from the Mihe Town Police Station ransacked the home of Xian Chunwei's parents in Zhuanghanmiao Village and took away lots of personal belongings. Mr. Xian's father said, "Liu Dayong, the person wearing glasses, with a black mole on his face, took 460 yuan1, which was my six-months' savings that I was going to use to buy coal for the winter. He also took a bag of old cassettes and a letter."

When Mr. Xian visited his parents in January 2009, the same officers again tried to arrest him. Neighbours and passersby stood up to the police and demanded to know why they took the family's winter heating money. Liu Dayong denied it, saying that he did not take any money, and then he changed the story and said that Mr. Xian's parents signed a document to agree to give him the money. Mr. Xian's parents are illiterate. As more and more villagers gathered, Liu Dayong threatened, "If you don't let me through, I'll arrest you." The farmers refused to budge and the police finally left after a one-hour stalemate.

Some officials responsible for the persecution of Xian Chunwei:
Zuo Hengfa, Qingzhou City Domestic Security Division Head: 86-536-3229829 (Home), 86-15953665166 (Mobile)
Pan Hongmin, Qingzhou City Domestic Security Division Head, former head of the Mihe Town Police Station in Qingzhou City


1. "Yuan" is the Chinese currency; 500 yuan is equal to the average monthly income of an urban worker in China.

Chinese version available at

You are welcome to print and circulate all articles published on Clearharmony and their content, but please quote the source.