Imprisoned and Tortured for 11 Years, Mr. Li Jinpeng Passed Away Soon After Release from Prison

Summary of Key Persecution Facts:

Name: Li Jinpeng

Gender: Male

Age: 47

Address: Room 802, Building 16, Beiwaxili, Haidian District, Beijing

Occupation : Owner of a Refrigeration Company

Date of Death: August 15th, 2013

Date of Most Recent Arrest: December 16th, 2007

Most Recent Place of Detention: Tianjin Chadian Prison

City: Tianjin

Persecution Suffered: Electric shock, sleep deprivation, forced labour, brainwashing, beatings, imprisonment, torture

Defence Attorney: Cheng Hai

Mr. Li Jinpeng was imprisoned twice for a total of 11 years for his belief in Falun Gong. While incarcerated, he was severely tortured and mistreated, which had dire consequences on his health. Mr. Li passed away on August 15th, 2013, at the age of 47 just six months after being released from his last incarceration.

Before starting his own refrigeration company, Mr. Li was employed at the Beijing Cultural Relics Department. He began practising Falun Gong in 1996 and benefited physically and mentally from the practice.

Tortured in Chadian Prison

In June 2000, Mr. Li Jinpeng was detained for 15 days because he practised Falun Gong exercises in Zizhuyuan Park of Haidian District, Beijing. On October 20th of the same year, he was sentenced to six years in prison for printing Falun Gong informational materials.

Mr. Li was sent to Chadian Prison in Beijing, where he was shocked with electric batons, deprived of sleep, beaten and forced to stand for long periods of time.

Mr. Li developed severe cirrhosis and retinal detachment as a result of the torture. He was released on October 19th, 2006.

Groundless Charges

On December 26th, 2007, a banner appeared on a building in Haidian District with words, “Heaven Will Eliminate the CCP [Chinese Communist Party] – Quit the Party for Your Safety.” It had a big impact on the public and caused panic among Party officials, who immediately launched an investigation, calling this a major crime.

The Haidian Police Department, the 610 Office (an organisation of special agents just for persecuting Falun Gong), and the Wanshou Temple Police Station targeted Mr. Li because he lived in the vicinity. Under the presumption of guilt, Mr. Li was arrested and incarcerated in the Haidian Detention Center.

The police used interrogation through torture to elicit a “confession.” However, Mr. Li firmly denied all charges. He went on a hunger strike to protest the groundless charges and the fabricated evidence, and was taken to an emergency care centre when his health began to deteriorate.

Unjust Sentencing

Mr. Li used to be very healthy. However, as a result of prolonged mistreatment and torture, he developed liver disease, oedema and lost much of his eyesight. Even though he was in critical condition, the police did not allow any family members visit him and refused to release him.

Local authorities sentenced Mr. Li to two and a half years of forced labour on January 21st, 2008. They took him to a forced labour camp, but the labour camp rejected him because of poor health.

After being detained for one year and four months in police custody, Mr. Li was given a five-year prison term.

According to Mr. Li's attorney, 48 police officers were involved in framing Mr. Li.

You are welcome to print and circulate all articles published on Clearharmony and their content, but please quote the source.