Update on Bakery Owner's Death after 90 Days of Abuse in Detention

Facebook Logo LinkedIn Logo Twitter Logo Email Logo Pinterest Logo

Over two years after Mr. Wang Haijin passed away at home, the Minghui website has received new information regarding police harassment and his final days.

Mr. Wang, a Falun Gong practitioner in Qinhuangdao, Hebei Province, owned a bakery. He had two daughters and his family enjoyed a happy life until his sudden arrest turned everyone's life upside down.

Mr. Wang was arrested on April 22nd, 2014, at his shop and taken to a detention centereDuring the 90 days that he was detained, he suffered unimaginable abuse, including force-feeding, beatings, sexual assault, and forced labour.

The guards at Funing County Detention Centre ignored Mr. Wang when he complained of a rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath, oedema, and nausea.

They didn't send him to the hospital until he couldn't eat or sleep. When doctors demanded that he be checked into the hospital to be treated for heart failure, the guards dumped him at home instead.

The police then frequently harassed him at home, and he was even more traumatized and frightened. His physical condition worsened and he finally succumbed to heart problems. He passed away in the early morning of October 9th, less than three months later.

Frequent Police Harassment after Release

Deeply traumatized by the abuse in detention, Mr. Wang remained very nervous and in terrible fear after he was released on July 22nd, 2014.

The day after his release, the police called Mr. Wang's relative and asked for 2,000 yuan (£230) as "bail" and threatened them to keep a close eye on him.

When he heard that the police had called, Mr. Wang couldn't eat or sleep well. Every time his phone rang again, he would become very nervous and scared, worried that it might be the police again.

He had constant flashbacks of being tortured. While lying in bed, his limbs would involuntarily spasm and flail, as if he were being tortured.

On August 6th, 2014, Chen Yingli, head of the Domestic Security Division, called Mr. Wang's family and said that they had submitted his case to the procuratorate and the prosecutor needed to meet with him. His family told Chen that his condition was very unstable, and he couldn't bear any more mental distress.

Mr. Wang's family called the prosecutor and explained his situation to her. That prosecutor seemed to be understanding and didn't push any further.

Despite that, Chen still kept calling Mr. Wang and brought staff members from the procuratorate to look for Mr. Wang. Chen threatened to skip the procuratorate and send the case directly to court.

Chen's relentless harassment brought tremendous pressure to Mr. Wang. Shortly after Chen left, Mr. Wang lost consciousness.

Heart Failure

On the day after Chen's visit, Mr. Wang's family took him to the hospital. Doctors examined him for two days. Mr. Wang was found to have severe heart failure. His heart had enlarged to be twice the normal size. He was in critical condition. The doctor also told his family that his problem was caused by extreme fatigue and malnutrition. His condition was beyond the capability of medical treatment.

As the police continued to harass him, Mr. Wang never recovered and eventually passed away on October 9th, 2014.

Family's Plight

Because of Mr. Wang's arrest, his wife had to close their newly-opened bakery to focus on securing his release. She struggled to make ends meet, pay for his medical treatment, and care for their two young daughters and her 80-year-old mother-in-law.

Worse still, on August 2nd, 2016, Mr. Wang's wife, Ms. Lu Jiarong, was also arrested and remains detained. Another Falun Gong practitioner, Mr. Bai Xuesong, who helped to take care the two girls, was also arrested by the police.

* * *

Facebook Logo LinkedIn Logo Twitter Logo Email Logo Pinterest Logo

You are welcome to print and circulate all articles published on Clearharmony and their content, but please quote the source.